Perth Academy, possibly the oldest school in Scotland, can trace its origins to the Grammar School established in Perth in the twelfth century by the Benedictine monks of Dunfermline Abbey. Since then it has steadily absorbed other institutions in the city, including amalgamation in 1915 with Sharp's Institution, and in 1932 the school left its famous building in Rose Terrace to move to the present site at Viewlands.
Until 1971 the school was a selective senior secondary school, serving a huge catchment area stretching from Dunkeld to Kinross, and from Errol to Methven, well over five hundred square miles in area.
In 1971 the Academy became a comprehensive school serving all pupils within a smaller catchment area. Since then it has successfully maintained its fine academic and extra-curricular traditions as well as extending considerably the range of courses offered
Perth Academy today
Perth Academy is a truly comprehensive Secondary School of around 1000 students situated in the south of the city. The school's cachment The school’s catchment area falls into three parts including the western areas of the city served by Viewlands, Letham and Goodlyburn Primary School. The areas to the north-east of the city, served by Robert Douglas Memorial School at Scone, and Balbeggie, Collace, Burrelton and Guildtown Schools. A large number of pupils from other areas also attend, admitted on placing requests.
DHT Improvement & Atholl House
DHT Improvement & Clunie House
DHT Support & Birnam House
Principal Teacher of Guidance Atholl House
Acting Principal Teacher of Guidance Clunie House
Principal Teacher of Guidance Birnam House
Principal Teacher - Additional Support Needs